Date and time:
2018-10-08 18:30 - 2018-10-11 20:00
Location: Vilniaus universiteto Konfucijaus institutas, M.K. Čiurlionio g. 21, II korpusas, Vilnius
Vilnius university Confucius Institute invites all those who are interested in cultural, social and philosophical aspects of Buddhism in China to attend public lectures which will be delivered by Märt Läänemets.
Märt Läänemets – Associate professor at the Centre for Oriental Studies, University of Tartu, an author of many monographs such as: “On the Meaning of ‘Good Friendship’ in Buddhism”, “Towards a Theory of ‘Awakening Conduct’, “Linnart Mäll’s Contribution to Mahayana Studies.“ His research interests focus on Buddhist studies in general and Mahayana Sutras in particular, also on Chinese traditional thought and history and their continuation in today’s China.
The main topics to be covered in the lectures are as follows:
• Arrival of Buddhism in China
• Translation of Buddhist scriptures into Chinese
• Formation of Buddhist community and monastic system in China
• Formation of Buddhist schools and sects in China (Tiantai, Pure Land, Huayan, Chan, Esoteric Buddhism etc.)
• Impact of original Chinese (Confucian, Taoist) thought and concepts on the tenets of Chinese Buddhist philosophy and practices
Titles of particular lectures:
1. Emergence of Buddhism in India and its early Spreed in Asia
2. Coming and adaptation of Buddhism in China
3. Forming of Buddhist schools in China, their doctrines and texts
4. Sinization of Buddhism: the tenets of Chan and Huayan schools
Date and time:
October 8th-11th, 18:30 at Vilnius university. M.K. Čiurlionio g. 21, II korpusas (VU Gamtos mokslų fakulteto kiemelyje).
Lectures will be held in English!